FCO Travel advice
Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) - Travel Advice
The Travel Aware campaign is a joint venture between the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the travel industry to help make sure British travellers are better prepared when they go overseas. The purpose of travel advice is to provide objective information and advice to help you make better-informed decisions about foreign travel. No foreign travel can be guaranteed as safe and you take personal responsibility for any trip you make abroad. The FCO keeps travel advice under constant review, so check the website regularly for updates.
Preparing for safe and healthy travel abroad
Further details on travelling abroad can be obtained by visiting www.gov.uk/travelaware which provides important information on all the destinations we feature, as well as travel tips, checklists and safety videos. You should visit this in advance and sign up for e-mail alerts for your chosen destination.
The FCO campaign aims to promote the following:
- Get adequate travel insurance
- Check FCO’s country and travel advice
- Research your destination – know the local laws and customs
- Visit your GP before travelling
- Check your passport is in good condition and valid and that you have any visas as may be required
- Make copies of important travel documents
- Tell someone where you are going and leave emergency contact details with them
- Take enough money and access to emergency funds
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office provides invaluable information for those travelling abroad and we would encourage everyone to read their country specific and travel advice.
Direct links to some of the useful sections are detailed below:
Travel advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
Travel checklist: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foreign-travel-checklist
Teacher pack: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-aware-teachers-pack
E-mail sign up: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/email-signup
Urgent help: https://www.gov.uk/government/world/embassies